Thursday, May 3, 2012

Stucky in Kentucky - A Silly Horse Poem



I love to gallop and I am faster,
Than the other horses in the pasture.

A man came by to watch me run,
And said all the races could be won.

If I would just carry a small man,
Around a track of dirt and sand.

But I don't like people on my back.
Even for a short run on a track.

The man pleads, "We could win in Kentucky!"
But what if the little man gets stucky?

I know it isn't very plausible.
But I am sure it's quite possible.

That once on my back the man would stay.
Then how would I make him go away?

The man said, "Please just a trial run?"
"I promise he will leave if you don't have fun."

So I agreed to a practice race,
Around the track at my fastest pace.

The small man said, "I am your jockey",
And I'll make sure we're out the gate early.

Then all you have to do is run your fastest,
And no other horse will ever get past us.

The jockey was nice and patted my back,
As I ran my fastest around the track.

He sat lightly upon my saddle,
And never jerked on the bridle.

So I agreed to become his team mate,
And true to his word we are first out the gate.

Over the years we've run many in Kentucky.
And not once has my jockey gotten stucky.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the funny, sweet poem. I adored it:)

    Laura Thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Hope you have a fun Derby Weekend. Everyone in Louisville, KY assumes the rest of the world treats it like a national holiday :)

      Delete
  2. nice posting.. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting our blog. Check back now and then for new Silly Poems and other posts.

      Delete