Thursday, July 5, 2012

Can You Really Call This a Picture Book?


I came across an article while wandering about the Internet today.  The Internet quote said it was about a popular picture book in Japan.  We write the occasional picture book (shameless promotion) so it caught my eye.  The book is called Ehon Jigoku which translates to Bad Kids Go To Hell.

If you have read our blog you know we like silly and funny picture books and at first I thought this was probably some type of dark humor. Nope. Just a book that tells kids if they are bad they will go to Hell.  Unbelievable.  Apparently this book is very popular in Asia and has sold over 100,000 copies.  Poor little kids.  Below is a link to a story about it and in it one parent is quoted saying, "My kids cry every time they see the illustrations, but for some unfathomable reason, they say they want to see them again and ask me to read the book to them."

Oh yes, the illustrations.  Snappy little drawings of children being dismembered and other horrible things.

The author says he wrote the book to make sure kids think about death and don't waste their lives.

We get the whole "different cultures" thing. We normally think it is a great idea to use books to discuss difficult topics with little ones, but this seems a bit much.

What do you think?  Would you read Bad Kids Go To Hell to your kids?

Link to article.

2 comments:

  1. Hell No! Pardon me. No way would I read this to my child or let them see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete